Organising the new home situation

When your relative returns home from a recovery or rehabilitation centre, some adjustments to their home might be necessary. Whether these are necessary and what they mean exactly depends on the person. Your relative, and you, decide this together with the specialists. It is practical to start taking care of this as soon as possible.

What the recovery or rehabilitation centre takes care of

Home visit

In some cases the recovery and rehabilitation will plan a home visit to get a clear picture of your relative’s home situation. This often happens when your relative is still in the recovery or rehabilitation , so it is great if you are present to answer any questions.

Advice from specialists

A meeting is scheduled to go through the specialists’ advice. During this consultation meeting, the specialists explain which adjustments are necessary to live at home again. It is nice if you are here and think about adjustments. It is also nice if you can get started with the implementation of this.

The care transfer

The recovery or rehabilitation takes care of your relative’s care transfer, including a medication overview, enough medication for 24 hours, and eventual advice about follow up treatment.

The also takes care of the care transfer to the general practitioner and the pharmacy. The general practitioner receives the discharge letter and any advice. The pharmacy receives, if it is necessary, new prescriptions, so you or your relative can pick these up.

When at-home care, outpatient assistance and/or primary care is necessary, the will also take care of this transfer.

Has a Long-term care indication act (Wlz) been applied for?

If your relative moves back home, it may be that an indication is required to make a claim under the Long-term care act (Wlz).  Is that the case? In that case, the recovery or rehabilitation department will arrange the application through the Care Assessment (CIZ). You do not have to initiate this process yourself.

When the indication for the Wlz has been applied for, approved and you return home, there are various ways to organise the care. Check with the care office in your relative’s region which options are available and choose the option that best suits your needs. The Amsterdam region falls under the Zilveren Kruis care office (zorgkantoor).

Ways you can contribute to organising the home situation

Being present at the advisory meeting

When changes in the home situation are required, an advisory meeting is often organized to inform you and your relative of what is needed. It is useful if you are present, so you are informed, you can ask questions, and immediately initiate the necessary adjustments. It is nice if you can get started with this quickly, because not all adjustments can be realised overnight.

Temporary aids

When aids are needed temporarily, you can borrow these at the at-home care store. This can include a transport wheelchair, a shower chair, or a toilet raiser. These aids are covered by insurance for a maximum of six months.

Permanent aids

You can apply for large permanent aids at the municipality through the Social support act (Wmo). These aids could be for example:

  • Supplementary public transport;
  • Housing facilities;
  • Household assistance;
  • A wheelchair.

Does your relative live in a rental house?

In that case there is a possibility that the changes to the house can be arranged through the housing association. Think of installing brackets or stair lifts.

Talk to your relative’s health insurer to find out what you can be reimbursed via the health insurance and when there is a claim under the Social support act (Wmo) of the municipality.

Does your relative have an indication for the Wlz?

Inquire at the care office about what can be reimbursed under the Long-term Care Act. A care office is linked to a region. The Amsterdam region falls under the Zilveren Kruis care office.

Personal alarm

Thanks to a personal alarm, help can come quick when something happens to your relative. These are things such as physical alarm buttons, digital support and follow-up. Personal alarms can be set up by health insurance or by you.

Picking up medication

When prescriptions have been sent to the pharmacy as part of the care transfer, it is practical if you pick these up for your relative. When your relative owns medication they do not need anymore, you can hand this in at the pharmacy or the recycling centre.


  • Ask your health insurer who has to pay for which costs.
  • Aids will be delivered to your relative’s home and will have to be placed with your help.

Is it clear what needs to happen?

Start realizing and requesting the tools and adjustments. It is not wise to wait with this. It can take a while before everything is arranged, but the length of stay in the recovery or rehabilitation department cannot be extended for this.